Tuesday, February 20, 2024

ANIMUS TOWARD POETRY

While genres like sci-fi, mystery, and romance are celebrated, there seems to be an animus toward poetry. It is certainly much a part of the American landscape. Poets such as Walt Whitman, Henry David Thoreau, and Emily Dickinson brought the genre to the American conscience. 

One mistaken notion is that poetry has to rhyme. I had that notion until I began writing and reading poetry. The majority of poems do not rhyme. I.ve written only a handful of rhymical poetry. In my case, it just flowed naturally when I put my pen to paper.

I don't believe there's one particular of writing poetry. It is deeply personal as the author shares a part of him/herself to the readers. This has not always been easy for me personally. As I age I found myself sharing feelings I never have previously. It's liberating and revealing.   

No comments:

NEW WORD

RESIDUUM  n. A substance or thing that remains or is left behind, in particular, a chemical residue.