Thursday, June 13, 2024

CONVENTION

Is convention a stumbling block for authors who defy it? Jack Kerouac and Herman Melville are two of my favorite writers whose work went against conventions of their times. 

Kerouac, of Beat Generation fame, wrote 'spontaneous prose' which forgoes punctuations. He touched on subjects which were taboo. I liked his work because he actually LIVED his experiences.

Melville, the author of Moby Dick, wrote of his sea adventures. His work was well written but didn't sell. Melville was a victim of convention.

I am drawn to people and places outside the norm. To me, these authors are interesting and challenge my own writing. I am going outside my comfort zone and am enjoying it. Thank you, Jack and Herman!



No comments:

WE ARE ALL CREATIVE

Creativity can never be stifled. Once it is left to flourish, some amazing works will happen. Some folks I admire for their creativity are M...